Founder

Caesar Asili was born in Moyo District, in Northern Uganda, on 11th September 1924.  His parents were Sebastiano Asili and Catherina. His father was a Headman in charge of the catechumens and this contributed to Asili’s very good Christian and religious background.

His primary education was at St. Dominic School, Maduga.  In 1938 he joined the minor seminary at Lacor, Gulu.  He completed his training to Priesthood at the then Lacor major Seminary and was ordained on 3rd June 1955 in his home Parish, Moyo.

He went for his further education to a Church University in Rome and later at Makerere University.  As a priest he worked in parishes, was Diocesan Education Secretary and Rector of the Junior Seminary of Arua Diocese.

Right from childhood, in his early formative years in the seminary, Caesar Asili surrendered himself to the protection of Mother Mary, to see him through to Priesthood.  There developed an intimate mother-child relationship between Caesar and Mary, so much so that he promised her a gift if she helped him to become a priest.  The Missionary Sisters of Mary Mother of the Church were therefore founded in gratitude to God and as a positive contribution towards establishing the Kingdom of God on earth.

It was the strongest conviction of our Founder that girls and women are endowed with many qualities that they may put at the disposal of the church and of the Kingdom of Christ.  He thought that the role of Motherhood of Our lady in the Church can be effectively shown to the People of God through the words and deeds of consecrated women.

Among these feminine qualities, our Founder highlighted the power of intuition, by which women quickly perceive and meet different needs of the People of God in the spirit and role of Motherhood.

It was therefore, no wonder that when he became Bishop of Lira in October 1968, he looked on it as an avenue opened by divine Providence to enable him to translate this love into a tangible gift to the Universal Church, something which would have been a bit difficult for him to accomplish as a priest.  Another providential incident which led to the birth of our Institute was the visit of Pope Paul V1 in 1969.  His challenge and appeal to Africans to be missionaries to themselves met with a ready response and indeed the Holy Father blessed the cornerstone of the Missionary Sisters of Mary, Mother of the Church, on 2nd August 1969, at Namugongo (Kampala).

The following year 1970, fourteen young girls, filled with zeal and love of Christ, joined the newly born Institute. These were the seeds of the missionary shrub.  These pioneers were under the care of the Comboni Missionary Sisters: Mary Rozalia and Ignansia.  The first aspirants had their Postulancy in Aboke, which was also a Scholasticate; and later went to Ngetta, where there is the Mother House of the Institute .
These young women made their first Vows on 20th January 1974.  In 1978, the Comboni Missionary Sisters left and Sr. Elizabeth Mandera, one of the pioneers took up the responsibility.   In 1979 the first final Profession took place.

Our Founder died on 12th October 1988.  As liaison Bishop for the Association of Religious women in Uganda (ARU), Bishop Caesar Asili was presiding over the Eucharist to mark the opening of ARU Hostel when he suffered a stroke. 

From heaven, he is powerfully and specifically helping us through his intercession; and many good events in the Institute can be attributed to his loving prayers.  One such event was our first General Chapter which took place in December 1990.  It has helped us to steer through to the present moment with a firm determination and unshakable hope for the future.

Many thanks to God for the many people who continue to encourage and pray for us; and to all benefactors who have generously contributed to make us what we are today.

Hits: 1716